Glen Coe is arguably one of the most celebrated glens in the world with its volcanic origins, and its dramatic landscapes offering breathtaking scenery – magnificent peaks, ridges and stunning seascapes. This easier variation of our best-selling Guided Walking holidays is the perfect way to enjoy a gentle exploration of the Scottish Highlands. Easy walks of 3-4 miles with up to 400 feet of ascent are available, although if you’d like to do something a bit more demanding walks up some of the lower hills are also included in the programme. Our medium option walks are 6 to 8 miles with up to 1000 feet of ascent whilst harder options are 8 to 10 miles with up to 2,600 feet of ascent.
Alltshellach is situated in a stunning and very peaceful location on the shores of Loch Leven, with spectacular views across to the mountains of Glen Coe. Once the home of the Bishop of Argyll and the Isles, it now provides a very comfortable base for our holidays in Scotland. The house comes complete with a heated indoor swimming pool, three lounges and a Highland bar stacked with a good selection of whisky. The gardens extend down to the loch – a lovely place for an after-dinner stroll.
- Full-board accommodation
- 38 bedrooms
- Heated indoor swimming pool
- Extensive gardens down to Loch Leven
- Discovery point with maps and local information
- Boot and drying room
- Free Wi-Fi
- 3 Lounges
- Multi-purpose ballroom
- Range of board games and books
- Discover the dramatic scenery of the Scottish Highlands
- Explore the atmospheric glens and coastal paths seeking out the best viewpoints.
- Hear about the turbulent history of the highlands
- Join our friendly and knowledgeable guides who will bring this stunning landscape to life.
All holidays at our Country Houses are full board accommodation including evening meal on arrival to breakfast on the day of your departure. All of our Country Houses have a well-stocked bar serving local beers, wine and spirits.
- Start your day with our extensive breakfast
- Take your fill from our famous self-service picnic lunches
- A relaxed social dinner is a highlight of any stay at our Country Houses
Just relax and take it easy, or if you’d like to continue to chat with our guides and fellow guests then why not grab a drink or take part in one of our optional evening activities.
All of our bars are stocked with locally sourced drinks so you can really soak up your surroundings.
- Fire procedure is displayed in each room and explained to guests on arrival. Guests requiring assistance at an evacuation are identified at this time and door hanger cards are issued on request
- A small fridge is available for storing medication
- Good signage for fire escape routes
- One bedroom key issued per room (second key available on request)
- Assistance dogs accompanying visually or hearing impaired guests are welcome; dogs must be kept on a lead or harness at all times
- Information can be provided in large print
- Staff have had disability awareness training
WHAT TO BRING
“There’s no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong type of clothing!” goes the adage. Come prepared for all eventualities and you’ll walk in comfort as well as safety. Britain’s famous for its changeable weather, so here’s our advice on what to wear and bring.
- Waterproof walking boots providing ankle support and good grip.
- A waterproof jacket and over-trousers
- Gloves and a warm hat (it can be chilly at any time of the year)
- Water bottle (at least 1 litre capacity)
- A small torch (everywhere in winter, year round in mountains)
- Sun hat and sunscreen
Denim jeans and waterproof capes are not suitable on any walks.
- Several layers of clothing, which can be added or removed
- Specialist walking socks to avoid blisters.
- A first aid kit inc plasters– your leader’s first aid kit doesn’t contain any medication
- Sit mat (insulated pad to sit on when you stop for a break)
YOU MIGHT ALSO WANT
- Walking poles, particularly useful for descents.
- Insect repellent
- Flask for hot drinks
- Rigid lunch box
- Blister kit (eg Compeed) just in case
- Waterproof rucksack liner